Here are Following Characteristics of Leadership
What is a Leadership? Leadership is a process by which an executive can direct, guide and influence the behavior and work of others towards accomplishment of specific goals in a given situation. The ability of a manager to induce the subordinates to work with confidence and zeal. Leader is the potential to influence behavior of others. It is also define as the capacity to influence a group towards the realization of a goal. Leaders are require to develop future visions, and to motivate the organizational members to want to achieve the visions. Meaning and Essence of Leadership in the Business.
Good Characteristics of Leadership
- It is a inter-personal process in which a manager is into influencing and guiding workers towards attainment of goals.
- Denotes a few qualities to be present in a person which includes intelligence, maturity and personality.
- A group process. It involves two or more people interacting with each other.
- A leader is involve in shaping and molding the behavior of the group towards accomplishment of organizational goals.
- Leadership is situation bound. There is no best style of leadership.
- It all depends upon tackling with the situations.
Nature and Characteristics of Leadership
An analysis of the definitions cited above reveals the following important characteristics of leadership:
1. Leadership is a personal quality.
2. It exists only with followers. If there are no followers, there is no leadership?
3. It is the willingness of people to follow that makes person a leader.
4. Leadership is a process of influence. A leader must be able to influence the behaviour, attitude and beliefs of his subordinates.
5. It exists only for the realization of common goals.
6. It involves readiness to accept complete responsibility in all situations.
7. Leadership is the function of stimulating the followers to strive willingly to attain organizational objectives.
8. Leadership styles do change under different circumstances.
9. Leadership is neither bossism nor synonymous with; management.