Cooking of Vegetable Fried Rice by Jenny Jones
There are three reasons why I love this recipe:
- It’s vegetarian.
- It has lots of super-food veggies.
- It takes less than 20 minutes to make.
This is a light, easy supper that I love to make, depending what I have on hand. My favorite combo is this one with broccoli, baby spinach, bell peppers, and peas. But I have also made it with other vegetables, sometimes broccollini instead of broccoli, Swiss chard instead of spinach, or other subs like asparagus, shredded carrots, bok choy, or Chinese snow peas, so you see it’s just a great way to get a variety of cooked vegetables in one meal. But I always use at least four different veggies.
Cold cooked rice works best so I usually cook the rice the day before, and refrigerate it overnight. Mostly I use Uncle Ben’s converted rice but I have also made it with brown rice. Either way, if your rice is cooked in advance, this is a super-quick meal. Be sure to have everything ready before you start because a stir-fry means you don’t leave the pan once you start and it cooks in less than 10 minutes! So chop everything first and have everything in place before starting.
Click here for the recipe. – Jenny Jones
Vegetable Fried Rice cooking Recipe
Cold, cooked rice works best so I cook and cool the rice overnight.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Makes: 2-3 servings
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper (any color)
- 2 1/2 cups cooked rice (2/3 cup uncooked) – I use Uncle Ben’s Converted
- 1 cup baby spinach, well packed (3/4 ounce)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 Tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon salt + pepper to taste
- Cook 2/3 cup rice, preferably in advance. Otherwise, cook and spread on a dinner plate to cool down.
- Spread frozen peas on a paper towel to thaw.
- In a sauté pan over medium-high heat, cook onion & garlic in 1 tsp.oil for 1 minute.
- Add broccoli & peppers. Cook & stir for 1 minute.
- Push veggies to the side, add 1 tsp. oil and stir-fry the rice in the oil for 1 minute, while gradually stirring in the veggies.
- Stir in spinach and peas and push mixture to one side.
- Add beaten eggs and cook until set, about 1 minute, and stir into rice.
- Stir in soy sauce, salt & pepper.